How Firm a Foundation -We Never Sing the Best Verses (Part 1 of 7)


A few years ago, I found my favorite hymn.  I am from a strong musical background; music, of all kinds, was played and sung at my home.  I learned that favorites are tough to have with such a wide variety of secular and spiritual choices. 

When asked about my favorite hymns I would tell others what I thought they wanted to hear.  I told my scoutmaster my favorite hymn was “They, the Builders of the Nation.”  To my seminary teacher, it was “A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief.”  In reality, many hymns have moved me; it is hard to have a favorite. If there is one, it is “How Firm a Foundation.”

Each verse talks about our trials through life; it figuratively talks about our families, our homes, our careers, our church callings, even the trials we inevitably face as we near the end of our lives.  When we get to the third verse, the point of view changes; it’s as if Christ is speaking to us directly.

Whoever authored this hymn is a mystery.  How Firm a Foundation first appeared in a 1787 Selection of Hymns from the Best Authors, published by Dr. John Rippon, pastor of Carter Lane Baptist Church in London, England. Dr. Rippon was one of the most influential his time.

This hymn anonymously appeared, identifying the author only as K____, which in later edition became Kn and later changed again to Keene. John Rippon’s music director’s name was Robert Keen (Keene), who served from 1776-1793 and was Pastor Rippon's close friend.  Many believe that Robert Keen wrote the text, but others believe he only wrote the original musical setting.

Much like other hymns at this time, the text could be paired with different folk tunes to make learning the hymn easier for congregations.  Adeste Fidelis was one folk tune often used to accompany the verses.  Adeste Fidelis is most prevalent in modern times as the setting for the beloved Christmas hymn O Come All Ye Faithful.

The setting used in the current LDS Hymnbook is attributed to J. Ellis, ca 1889.

Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?

A few years ago, I was privileged to work with a Tony-Award-winning singer, Lisa Hopkins Seegmiller.  

A project that cost much blood, sweat, and tears was becoming realized. I worked closely with my friend Brent Jepperson on his theater and music venue, The Village Green. As we neared an opening day, we planned a music festival including many local acts. Many of whom were my friends from the arts community in and around northern Utah.  But we had a problem; we didn’t the main act.

Another dear friend, Travis Seegmiller, married well above himself. And that’s saying something; he has many accomplishments, including being a state congressman in Utah. His amazing wife Lisa is an accomplished singer, actress, and won a tony as part of the cast of Baz Lehrman’s version of “La Boehme” on Broadway.

I decided to try to capitalize on my friendship with Travis.  

I knew that it might be a big ask, even if she would agree to do it, they lived on the east coast of the united states and Lisa, being who she is, was very busy.  But I knew my friendship with Travis was sound. It wouldn't hurt to try, I thought.  

To my great pleasure, Lisa agreed, and we were able to secure her performance.

When she was at our facility preparing, I learned something about people who perform at her level. They are obsessive about the basics. One may expect someone of Lisa’s talent to become complacent, especially about vocal music's basic principles. One would be entirely wrong.

We had Lisa perform for our little venue twice, and each time she asked for a dedicated space to practice.  I eavesdropped on her practices expecting to hear a private concert of some wonderful aria or another great song.  

What I heard changed me. It was something I did not expect. I mostly heard I heard her sing scales and practice breathing and other foundational vocal exercises. She spent much of her time practicing the foundational principles of vocal music.

When I was growing up, my Mom, a piano teacher, would tell me the only way to master a skill was to practice.  I failed to understand that is also how one keeps and maintains the skill.  It is also how one ultimately masters it. 

Go to church, read the scriptures, and pray; A trifecta of canned answers that kids quickly learn to give for most Sunday School questions.  The beauty of these oft-repeated answers lies in their simplicity and truth.  These three answers to all questions could be that the answer to all questions. (Well, close, but not really.) But there is one thing I am sure about, they all have the power to bring us closer to Christ.

This trifecta covers our relationship with heaven through prayer, our fellowship with others through church participation and service, and our understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ through feasting upon His words. 

And though the doing of them by themselves will not save a soul, they have tremendous power to assist. Ask any denomination leader if church members would do only these three things at a bare minimum; that leader’s job would be significantly easier.

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,

Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!

Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word! Did you notice that Word is capitalized? There is more to the word Word than only the written history of God’s people, His covenants with those people, the teachings of His prophets, and the words of Christ Himself.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was at the beginning with God.

(John 1:1-2)

The hymn is saying, Is laid for your faith in… Jesus Christ. Remember the parable of the wise man and the foolish man?

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them; I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

(Matthew 7:24-27)

The gospel is designed to benefit our existence.  I do not want to downplay the aspects of the atonement that save us from our sins; that is the key purpose.  There is more to than only that.

I like how the Articles of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints say it:

…the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

(Pearl of Great Price, Articles of Faith:4)

They are first because they are foundational.

There was a time when I felt that the atonement stopped at salvation from sin alone, and it was up to me to “endure to the end” on my own. I didn’t comprehend that the atonement was about all of the ways God blesses us and leads us back to Him. I have always known God blesses me, yet I haven’t always understood that God will also strengthen and enable me as part of His atonement.

The atonement of Jesus Christ can and should be an active part of our mortal struggle. 

And the Lord God spake unto Moses, saying: The heavens, they are many, and they cannot be numbered unto man; but they are numbered unto me, for they are mine. And as one earth shall pass away, and the heavens thereof even so shall another come; and there is no end to my works, neither to my words.

For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

(Moses 1:37-39)

 

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,

Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!

What more can He say than to you He hath said,

Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?

Comments