The Price Of Obedience Without Compassion


The Disney film "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is full of contrasting characters.  Each of the characters has flaws.  The writer of the book which was adapted into the animated classic, Victor Hugo, explores the difference between keeping God's commandments and not.

The story gives us such fascinating characters as Esmeralda, the Gypsy street dancer, Phoebus the soldier, Frollo the Archdeacon of Notre Dame, and Course Quasimodo, the deformed hunchback and bell ringer of Notre Dame. So much of what we may call righteousness can quickly become distorted when the love exemplified by Christ is absent.

Esmerelda by many of the citizens of Paris, including Frollo, is considered a harlot.  In one aspect, she is adored as a dancer and entertainer, but then she is despised as a witch.  Many of the reasons for the citizens to love or hate her are external.  Likely many have no real knowledge of her moral standing and only judge what they see.  

What we find through the course of the story is that she is naturally compassionate and kind.  Something that is demonstrated when she saves Quasimodo after being near-fatally flogged.  Quasimodo asks for water, and Esmerelda approaches and offers him a drink, saving his life.

I have personally struggled with this on and off throughout my life. I sometimes am much like Frollo or the citizens of Paris while other times able to have the compassion of Esmerelda.  

I grew up with the standards taught to me by my parents.  I was taught to follow the commandments found in the scriptures, the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the rest of the canon of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  

I have been blessed. My parents instilled in me a desire to follow the commandments and strive to improve throughout my life. However, there have been times that I have allowed my devotion to blind me to the pains of others.

I grew up in Utah.  The best part of growing up in Utah was being surrounded by many people who believed in the same religion as I do.  The worst part about growing up in Utah is being surrounded by many people who believe in the same religion  as I do.

Sometimes, much more than I care to admit, I have intentionally or unintentionally acted like one of the Parisian citizens. Using the beliefs I hold and the standards that I adhere to as a method of lifting myself above my fellow man.

Isn't this the age-old criticism against religion?  Teo works of Victor Hugo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Les Misérables, are devoted almost entirely to this issue.  The page count in only those two books is over 1800.  How many other authors, philosophers, artists, lyricists, composers, prophets, and teachers have expounded on this issue.  Too many to count.

It is best in a situation like this to go to the master storyteller, prophet and teacher, Jesus Christ.

In the New Testament Luke tells of an encounter Christ had with a lawyer:

And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

 Luke 10:25-29

That is an important question, isn't it? Who is our neighbor? Often when I hear the word neighbor, I naturally think of those who live on either side of me.  I may think about those I associate with, through work or church or other activities.  My inclinations are only part of what being a neighbor means. 

 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

And likewise, a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Luke 10:30-37

I have often wondered if Christ's parables are real events, I mean he is all-knowing, or are they only stories with profound lessons.  I hope, for the sake of the priest and the Levite, that they are not real.  I would hate to have my moments, where I have not shown Christlike compassion, immortalized in scripture.

Frollo, referring to the book I referenced earlier, is the archbishop of Notre Dame.  His pride in following God's commandments lead him down the path of unrighteousness.   His contempt for others who he deems less worthy falsely uplifts him. The service he does render other, including to Quasimodo, is more out of prideful piety and duty rather than love. It is no wonder that he finds himself tempted by Esmerelda.  He believes he is above sin. And he pays a high price, both physically and spiritually.

What otherwise would be righteousness, if one subtracts out compassion, paves the way to wickedness. 

The Apostle Paul taught:

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:2-3

The Atonement of Jesus Christ is about salvation.  Taking this mortal soul who is naturally an enemy of God.  And causing a "mighty change." The Atonement does this by saving us from our sins.  It is about humility and love.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame gives several examples of people trying in one way or the other to live righteously, and just as the rest of us mortals; they often get it wrong.  But sometimes they get it right.

I pray that I will trend toward compassion and that I can find the balance between loving my God and following the commandments (as best as I can understand) all the while loving my neighbor, as the Savior would.  I pray that this world will also find that balance, but I have a feeling that there will be many more words written on the subject.

Comments